Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Compensate

compensatekämpənˌsāt|verb1 [ trans. ] recompense (someone) for loss, suffering, or injury, typically by the award of a sum of money : payments were made to farmers tocompensate them for cuts in subsidies.pay (someone) for work performed : he will be richly compensated for his efforts.2 [ intrans. ] ( compensate for) make up for (something unwelcome or unpleasant) by exerting an opposite force or effect : officials have boosted levies to compensate for huge deficits.
*THIS IS WHY MOST PEOPLE DON'T LOSE WEIGHT WHEN THEY ADD EXERCISE TO THEIR DAILY ROUTINE*Huh??? you ask! I'm glad you did: It all boils down to that little word up there: Compensate and that little definition #2 "make up for" "by "exerting an opposite force or effect" Make sense yet? Here's what I'm good at:
My inner actual daily thoughts after running: awesome! I did that!! Whooo hooooo now I can have a cookie or 10.
We are all very very good at compensating and rewarding ourselves. The problem with this is that most of us OVER compensate and end up gaining weight after a long race or daily exercise regimen. This is why when I trained for that marathon in 2009 I gained 10 pounds even though I was working out and running far more than I had ever done in my whole life. My mentality: I ran 10 miles I can eat a whole pizza. with ranch. and that dipping sauce with butter. and have a cookie. and drink 2 classes of milk. and.... None of that was true. or good for me. So when I read in Runner's World magazine about this word compensation I was able to realize the bad habit I had gotten into and push through with better eating decisions. This is also why I chose NOT to run the Austin Distance Challenge this year that I told y'all I would do. I started training and the weight went right back up. My eating habits got worse. The extra weight caused my ankles and knees to be in severe pain with every step and I know I must get my eating under control before I take on that feat. Here's to tackling me :)



1 comment:

  1. I not only over compensate, I am just plain gluttney. I eat when I am bored. I eat when I am upset and I eat when I am depressed. I just eat. Not only do I eat, I eat the whole pizza just because I can.

    I don't lose weight because I binge eat. I am not doing that anymore...as of Monday but it is an every day battle for me.

    And as far as today, it is easy because I have the stomach bug. Just looking at food makes my tummy hurt. :)

    ReplyDelete