Saturday, October 4, 2008

Liberty

liberty |ˈlibərtē|noun ( pl. -ties)1 the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views 2 the power or scope to act as one pleases

I found myself pondering the meaning of the word that we sing in songs about our nation by the age of around 4. It occurred to me that I wasn't completely certain of what the full definition of Liberty was but I have found that it is exactly this word that I have been searching my heart about. No, this is not a blog about politics or how great I think that Palin is. This my friend is a blog about STRONGHOLDS. I will go ahead and give you the definition of this as well. Its kinda frightening: 
stronghold |ˈstrô ng ˌhōld|noun a place that has been fortified so as to protect it against attack.• a place where a particular cause or belief is strongly defended or upheld
something that protects it (us) from attack. This is crazy! There are few things in my life that I have had a terrible time trying to shake but I had no idea that it had anything to do with something that I was trying to protect, strongly defend, or uphold! WOW! So I have been searching my heart a lot lately. I am trying to make sure that I am not wasting the very gifts that God has given me. (Remember the Parable of the Talents Matthew 25:14-28) I know that strongholds hold us back and I do not want to be held back. I have been taught LIBERTY! (do you see where I am going with this?) I want to be free and twirl around in a big twirly skirt without a care and sing at the top of my lungs because I am pretty good when I sing when no one is around..I promise! 
I guess I should let you in on a little secret that is probably not much of a secret to most of you who follow this blog. A stronghold of mine is the need for approval. If none of you are around and I think something is neat at Target I will simply find a lady I have never met in all of my life and see what she thinks about such item. This might sound like a skimpy little stronghold but it really holds me back because sometimes I really want something so badly but will not proceed due to what others might say. I am making strides to eliminate such stronghold but still stumbles me at times. 
I also thing that prejudice is a stronghold of mine. I am not talking about race, color, denomination, or even body build I am strictly talking about looking at someone and deciding whether I could be around them before they ever open their mouths. I know we all do this. Sometimes we won't walk down a certain isle in the store because "prejudice" is standing there and looks kind of shady. (am I making sense). I don't want things like that holding me back at all. What if that is the person that I am supposed to spread the love of God to? And I what? Miss it because of something stupid like a dumb fear like being attacked? Wow, we cannot operate like that well at all my friend. 
Depression is another one of my mine. If I don't answer my phone on Monday I might just be busy but if you have not heard back from me by Saturday I might be feeling sorry for myself or I might not be able to respond. Whew..I said it. Things do get a little dark in this heart of mine but its okay right? I've been through a lot. My family and myself have been through a lot. It's..well..justfied (INSERT BIG LOUD WRONG ANSWER ON A GAME SHOW BUZZER HERE) No Way! I need to stop dwelling on the dang past and live for today! 
I guess the whole point is that we want Liberty but we have strongholds and we must be willing to be honest with ourselves and stop trying to be perfect. 

I think Pink sang it best, "So what I'm still a rock star, I got my rock moves, and I don't need you. So what I'm having more fun. Now that we're done. Im gonna show you" 

So, So what you stupid strongholds you! I'm still a rockstar

1 comment:

  1. You CRACK me UP! But really.. thanks for your honesty. :)

    ReplyDelete