Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Why Do Something?

I got a text today from a friend that said, "wow, why do you want to run another marathon?" ANSWER: Because running makes me feel alive and I'll get lazy if I don't have a goal and it has to be a big goal so I'll push myself a little harder than I think I can do if the goal is big and I feel/am closer to the Lord when I run" yes yes I know RUN ON sentence. This goal got me thinking:

Why do anything in life? People don't ask me all the time but I know they think it: Why in the world are you building a business with FHTM? My answer to that question is simple: Because I want to. Because I love people. Because I love being a part of something bigger than me. Because teaching at a high school in Austin was never going to get us out of the debt hole we were in. Because I still get to teach and coach every day of my life. Because it's worth it. But more than all of those things: I am forced to trust the Lord every day in every moment of working our business. He doesn't promise me success, health, or even ease in life but He does promise to make me loving, pure, and humble like Christ. Kyle and I have been with FHTM for 4 years next month and I can't imagine doing anything else with my life. In the book Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung, he states: "If you are seeking first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, you will be in God's will, so just go out and do something" (61.)

I will leave you with this video from John Piper:

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I know my husband is constantly reaching further and further with running. I am not a runner, at all, but I have other ways to push myself. It really is a question of why we do anything. I think the things we do to bring a little more kindness in the world are simply the best, all for the glory of God.

    ReplyDelete