Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Middle Mile

Don't worry. This post has nothing to do with broadband networks but if you want to read about those search google.
To me the middle mile is exactly that:
First mile
Middle mile
Third mile
Or
First mile
Middle mile
Fifth mile

The middle mile(s) are always the hardest ones to run. It's when the temperature is way hotter than I thought, uncomfortable running gear is noticeable, I start praying that someone will see me running by their home & rush a cup of water out to meet me, I forget why I'm running in the first place, & I always think about quitting & walking the rest of the way home.
But something darn right amazing happens to me when I push through the elements and my thoughts to start that last mile of a running work out:
I focus
I regroup
My mind clears
I'm less thirsty
I'm goal driven
I'm going to the Olympics in running! Yes I am. I could win a gold medal in running or maybe 8 ;)

You know why? Because I beat the middle mile. I didn't let fear or being tired, or circumstance, or people, or shorts I wore pre baby weight that I don't need to wear now because my thighs rub together causing chaffing make me lose focus. Because after the middle mile is the last mile and then I can see the finish line. It's all worth it. I'm gonna make it.

So why does this happen to me so many times in my daily tasks as well? I must remember to begin with the end in sight. I must remember my goal.

Philippians is a great book in the Bible. Beginning in chapter 3:12 Paul says,
"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

I must remember why I'm here and it's simply to glorify the One who made me . Jesus is the only way. My breath today. What I do today may or may not be my middle mile. Only He knows my finish line. So Lord, thank you for reminding me that it's all worth it to know You more. This life is all about You getting the glory and becoming all You want me to be. May we all push through our middle miles knowing that ultimately, in the end of our earthly days You'll be there. Cheering us in with words of "well done good & faithful servant" I wouldn't want to miss something You have for me because I quit when the going got tough. Thank you Lord for all you've done. I pray for all of you people & your middle(s). God sees you. And He'll see you through.

1 comment:

  1. Jenny I totally thought about that middle mile during my run this morning and it got me through when I desperately wanted to quit. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete